Tuesday, July 29, 2014

'Twas Completed Today


You all remember that kite I was working on correct? Well, IT IS FINISHED!! It was for a contest at work and now it is completely finished and submitted. Our theme was essentially "Island of Misfits" or "Forgotten Favorites" because come on, (even though no one talks about them) who doesn't love Hercules, Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Lilo and Stitch? I know what you're thinking "Lilo and Stitch has merchandise and gets talked about all the time!" WRONG! Stitch has merchandise (like three things) but the rest of the characters from the movie are basically lost to the world. If I were to ask the majority of the people I know who David, Jumba, Pleakly, Mertle, and Nani were I probably would just get blank faces. It counts. 

Originally Treasure Planet was supposed to make an appearance but the Jim Hawkins piece was never given to me so I had to draw Pegasus in his place. Below there is a time line of photos to feast your eyes upon.

Stitch and Pegasus are not my best work but they were drawn 2 hours prior to submitting the kite so I had to cut some corners. Everything but the stickers (AND SO,E REALLY COOL LEAVES CONTRIBUTED BY KIM!!) was free handed by yours truly and to be honest, I'm surprised that everything came out so well. It isn't exactly how I envisioned it but I think it looks better this way. You could say all of its imperfections give it character. 

I haven't decided what my favorite part is. I LOVE so many things about what I was able to accomplish with my (compounded) 24 hours of kite making that I can't choose! I never possessed the artistic gene prior to college but I guess all of my paddle making brought it out!!

ALSO! TODAY MY NEPHEW TURNED 6 AND IT IS FREAKING ME OUT!



No comments: